My Renovation Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How Dare She (and once again we are THOSE people)...

I admit it, when we go out to dinner, after we eat and Ella starts to get antsy, we let her walk around the restaurant (we are with her).  She is exceptionally (too?) social, and this is the only way to keep her happy.  However, this means that she runs up to every single table, waves and says "hi" to the people at the table, often taps on their legs and too often requests that they pick her up!  Should we allow her to do this?  Probably not.  But would you rather have a happy social butterfly possibly interrupt you while you're eating or a whining mess at the table next to you?  I *always* apologize when she runs up to someone, touches them or even just bothers them by saying "hi" because I know not everyone wants a toddler interrupting their meal.  But honestly, not one single person has ever been anything but happy to see her, they always say "it's no problem" and half the time they pick her up and she joins their table for a few minutes.

That all changed last night.  We went out to dinner with friends (to a non-fancy Mexican place), and Ella did her typical rounds to every table.  She was having a great time, everyone seemed to love her, and I met some really nice people!  Until she ran up to a table with a couple probably in their late 20's or early 30's.  Ella barely touched the girl on the side of the leg, and I said, "I'm so sorry", and I immediately picked her up (for some reason I sensed that these people were sourpuss' because usually I don't pick her up).  Instead of a normal human response like, "oh no problem", the girl ROLLED HER EYES at me!!!!  Who does that?!  I get that they probably thought we were awful parents letting our baby run around a restaurant, and again, I get that it is not the ideal situation, but come on people, it's not like we were at Mastros, and what kind of person could possibly roll their eyes at my adorable child?! ;)~

Anyhoo...it was still a really fun time, and Ella gave Logan his first kiss!

We were cracking up as we left because instead of having a martini spilled on her shoe, S had a puff stuck to the front of her fancy boots!!!!  Oh how times have changed...

1 comment:

  1. Those people sound mean!!! Plus, they should have known better - when you go to a casual restaurant especially in the suburbs, you have to anticipate the presence of children. If you don't like children interrupting your meal, you should eat somewhere else. For example, when Ryan and I were in our 20s, we never went to CPK for dinner because we didn't want to deal with the children. Now, of course, CPK is our friend. But really, people who roll their eyes at children have problems.

    ReplyDelete