My Renovation Blog

Friday, July 11, 2014

New Chicks and RIP Buffy

Our chicks were born and shipped on Wednesday so we had to get their brooder all ready.  Ella made a sign that said, "Welcome Home Chickens"...

They took less than 24 hours to get here, and since I'm trial, Gary had to take the day off to pick them up and care for them (which is funny since he is not into the whole chicken thing!)...

So it should be a happy day, but the buff orpington (named Buffy) seemed weak since she arrived and wouldn't eat or drink.  I was forcing her to drink from a dropper but couldn't get her to eat.  We assumed she was stressed from the travel, but all the other chicks were great, eating a ton, drinking walking all around.  She kept to herself like in this photo...

So I put her in her own box so the others wouldn't pick on her...

But this morning, she was gasping for air.  I just held her and she kind of jumped out of my hands so I put her back in her box, and she stretched her legs out and stopped breathing.  I cried!  I'm SO sad.  Of course, she was Ella's favorite so the first thing Ella asked was, "where is Buffy?"  We told her that she is at the doctor's office because her tummy hurts, and we're going to try and replace her today because I think the feed stores carry that breed.  Even Rylee loved her!

I knew that it's not uncommon for a chick or two to die upon shipping, but I didn't think I'd be so sad!  Maybe because I was taking so much care of her, holding her, feeding her, etc.  RIP Buffy!

Now on the other hand, one of our Easter Eggers, who Ella named Elsa, is a total b*tch!  She picks on everyone, won't let anyone sleep if she's not sleeping- definitely the alpha.  I put her in timeout sometimes. ;)

Their names are Elsa, Anna, Goldie, Lacey and Pepper.  And hopefully another Buffy will surface today before Ella gets home from school.  I'll post a photo with which is which later.  Once I'm out of mourning!

No comments:

Post a Comment