My Renovation Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Bring on the Eggs!

I'm really excited for my organic, cage-free, fresh eggs...too bad I probably won't get any for at least 5 more months.  Most people still think I'm crazy, but here is a little tidbit that summarizes some of the reasons I decided to raise chickens. :)

Compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:
• 1/3 less cholesterol
• 1/4 less saturated fat
• 2/3 more vitamin A
• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
• 3 times more vitamin E
• 7 times more beta carotene
The conventional egg industry wants very much to deny that free-range/pastured eggs are better than eggs from birds kept in crowded, inhumane indoor conditions.  Factory farm birds never even see the outdoors, let alone get to forage for their natural diet. Instead they are fed the cheapest possible mixture of corn, soy and/or cottonseed meals, with all kinds of additives.  The USDA isn’t helping consumers learn the truth, either: “Allowed access to the outside” is how the USDA defines “free-range.” This inadequate definition means that producers can, and do, label their eggs as “free-range” even if all they do is leave little doors open on their giant sheds, regardless of whether the birds ever learn to go outside, and regardless of whether there is good pasture or just bare dirt or concrete outside those doors!  http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/tests-reveal-healthier-eggs.aspx#ixzz37wtAppZJ

And I have to say, taking care of chicks is EASY.  Like, really easy.  I'm sure it will get a lot more challenging (and messier!) when they are full grown, but for now, you get cute little cuddly (ok, they aren't so much cuddly) chicks that are super easy to care for.

And who could resist seeing Pepper stretch out her neck to sleep on Buffy?

I've already told Gary that I want to move again to have an even bigger yard.  With a bigger coop.  And more chickens. ;)  Here's a piece of advice for you- if you live in a house with a fairly smallish yard- stay there because you don't know what you're missing.  I was perfectly happy with the size of the yard at our tract home.  Now that we've gotten the taste for a big yard, and playing with the kids back there, I want an even bigger yard!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment