My Renovation Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Stitches at the ER

I was at the ER last night from 9 to 11 p.m.  I know what you're thinking, "which kid was injured?"  But no, the kids are fine.  *I* am the brilliant full grown adult, who nearly sliced my finger off on a can trying to push the trash down.  It happened at 1:30, and I was home alone with the kids so Gary came home so I could go to the ER, but by that time, I finally got the bleeding to stop so I figured it was fine (and in all honesty, I was scared to get stitches!)...
Photobucket

But because of where it's located, it kept opening back up and gushing blood all over the place...
Photobucket

So when it happened again around 8:30 p.m., and I couldn't get it to stop bleeding, I gave in and went to the ER...by myself...no fun.

The doctor said, "it won't stop bleeding because you need stitches idiot"...well, she didn't say the idiot part, but she was thinking it!  Anyway, the bottom line is that getting the lidocaine shots was more painful than ANYTHING I've experienced in my life.  Seriously, I feel like I have a somewhat decent tolerance for pain, but I think the finger must be one of the worst places for stitches because I had to use every ounce of willpower not to scream at the top of my lungs- I was practically jumping off the table.  And why does it take so long to numb a tiny little finger?  It felt like she shot it in different spots with a rusty nail...my spinals for my c-sections only took about 2 seconds, and those were to numb me from the waist down!!

Then because it was so deep, she had to pull it apart to make sure I didn't slice the tendon (I didn't) so even though it didn't hurt, the pulling and cleaning it was just icky feeling.

It didn't end when I came home because at 2 a.m., I woke up and still couldn't feel my finger AT ALL so of course I Google how long lidocaine is supposed to last, which said 1-2 hours so then I freaked out that they had hit a nerve, and I permanently lost feeling in my entire finger, and I debated going back to the ER.  Dramatic much?  I'm happy to report that I do have feeling now, which I regret missing because it HURTS!!!

The moral of the story is that this is all Gary's fault because if he just took out the trash like he's supposed to, this would have never happened. ;)  Haha!

1 comment:

  1. Heck yeah, it's Gary's fault!! WHY is it so hard for the guys to take the trash out - I deliberately let ours get completely overfull because I refuse to take it out. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! And I'm sure it's a huge inconvenience not having use of one of your hands with 2 kids!! OMG, you're amazing. Hope you're otherwise having a great pre-xmas few days! Looking forward to seeing y'all soon!!

    ReplyDelete