My Renovation Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pregnancy

Since I just mentioned in passing that I'm pg with no explanation, I figured I'd elaborate in a separate post.  We completely thought we were "one and done", but we had two frozen embryos left over from Ella's cycle.  We never ever ever thought it would work, but we did an FET (frozen embryo transfer) at the end of April.  We didn't tell a single person we were doing it because we didn't think it would work but clearly it did!  I'll be 18 weeks on Friday.  My due date is 1.13.12, but I won't go past 1.6.12 if I even make it that far.

The pregnancy has been generally awful and much much worse than with Ella (well to this point, obviously Ella's was awful once I started swelling).  First, I had a subchorionic hematoma, which means I was bleeding in my uterus.  It's stressful because it can cause the placenta to detach resulting in a miscarriage.  I was put on bedrest week by week but because they didn't officially take me off work, I continued working and didn't really do bedrest except on the weekends.  Luckily, the hematoma resolved itself.  However, I still felt HORRIBLE the entire first trimester- I have never felt so tired in my life.  Not even when Ella was a newborn.  I couldn't function- I felt loopy all the time.  I thought something was really wrong with me.  I just felt like crap all day every day.  I'm still really really tired, but at least now I can function and don't feel drugged!  Completely different than with Ella when I felt great the first tri.

Due to age, IVF and my past experience with severe preeclampsia, I'm being considered extremely high risk this time, which is good.  They are monitoring me very closely, and taking every precaution to *try* and prevent preeclampsia and such an early delivery.  My perinatologist believes I have about a 30% chance of getting it again (much higher than normal 2nd pregnancies), but hopefully I'm in the 70% stat!!!

Oh, and it's a BOY!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I have to admit I read your blog all the time and never comment. I just love to follow Ella's pictures, I have a daughter just a little younger than her. Anyway, I wanted to say congrats on the pregnancy!!! I look forward to seeing your cute boy outfits in addition to Ella's gorgeous wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A boy! You will love it. I am so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Such a great surprise to start off my week! I'm so happy for you! A girl and a boy - what a blessing! How far apart are they going to be in age? V and M are 22m and they are the cutest together! They really love each other. Can't wait for Ella to be a big sister! It's the sweetest thing you'll ever experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I haven't checked your blog in AGES, so I missed this HUGE news (well, I suppose this post is only a week or so old, but I feel SO out of touch!) HUGE congrats!!! I'm ecstatic for you :) A boy will be an adjustment from your super girly girl Ella, but she will make an awesome big sis and you will all have so much fun! Hooray! (Sorry you've been feeling so crappy, though. Hope the worst is behind you now.)

    ReplyDelete