My Renovation Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Gluten Intolerance/ Gluten-Free Living/ Celiac Disease

*Warning* Just skip this post if you don't care about that stuff...otherwise it will be reeeeeally boring!

I still don't have my results from my bloodwork, but I'm still GF (shockingly!), and I've done a lot more research.  Here are a few things I've learned:

*95% (!!!) of celiacs are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions;

*6-10 YEARS is the average time a person waits for a correct diagnosis!;

*Apparently, cross-contamination is a HUGE problem for people with CD or gluten intolerances- this is where I'm having a big issue.  To be *truly* GF, you need to not be exposed to gluten at all.  Meaning your food cannot be prepared on pots/pans/grills or with utensils that are also used to prepare gluten foods.  For example, if you get an In-n-Out burger animal style, it's GF, however, if they are grilling the burgers on the same grill that they heat up the buns, your animal style burger has now been contaminated with gluten!  It seems extreme, but for people who are very sensitive (i.e. have extreme reactions), they get VERY sick from something as minor as that.  Well, you say, you clearly don't get that sick from such cross-contamination since eating a piece of bread doesn't make you sick so who cares- no need to be so anal.  HOWEVER, just because you don't get violently ill, doesn't mean your insides are not suffering from a violent reaction, which of course can manifest itself in other symptoms, such as infertility (uh me?!) or skin disorders.  So therein lies my problem.  Gary refuses to eat GF, and frankly, I just don't think I'm ready to switch Ella over to a GF lifestyle, even though she does LOVE my GF garlic crisps!

*The other issue I learned after I bought a ton of stuff at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is that basically, pre-packaged food, even if specifically listed as GF, still is at risk of cross-contamination, and most people who are super serious about this lifestyle don't eat much, if any, pre-packaged foods.  All fresh, all the time.  Now, of course the most ideal way to eat is all fresh foods anyway, but come on, who doesn't buy crackers, protein bars for a quick lunch, bottled sauces/dips/dressings, etc., etc., etc.?  The problem is that because the foods are (a) either made on equipment that also processes foods containing gluten (I'm no longer buying foods that have this disclaimer); or (b) are made in facilities that also make foods containing gluten.  I read story after story on the CD forum of people who had eating foods listed as GF on Trader Joe's GF list and then became very sick.  GRRRR.

Despite all this, it hasn't been difficult so far because Trader Joe's does have so many options!
*All but 2 types of their hummus is GF- I've been inhaling that.
*The chicken taquitos and black bean & cheese taquitos are delish.
*All of their guacamoles.
*The savory thin mini crackers in 'original' (rice crackers) are SO good.  However, these say they are made on equipment shared with wheat, so I won't be buying them anymore. :(
*The savory thin mini edamame crackers (but same problem).
*The TJ's rice noodle soup bowl (all flavors- my fav is the mushroom).
*TJ's garlic mashed potatoes.
*TJ's Tuscan Italian dressing (so good).

I also learned about many GF restaurant options:
*PF Changs and Pei Wei (we already tried PW- the spicy chicken and spicy shrimp were ok but too spicy, the Vietnamese rolls are really good).
*Chipotle- everything is GF except their tortillas and tomatillo salsa.
*In-n-Out- everything is GF (including fries!) except the buns, however, the special sauce is questionable.
*Wahoos- many GF options including the charbroiled chicken and fish, white rice, gauc, fresh salsa and black beans.
*Chicken Dijon (Greek food)- I haven't ever tried this place, but it looks good and was listed on a GF site as having lots of options- there is one right by us so I'm going to try it!
*La Sirena Grill- apparently many of their breakfast and lunch/dinner options are GF, and there's one by us so I'm going to try it!

3 comments:

  1. La Sirena Grill is good - not sure about the GF items, but I really like their food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be really hard for me to follow. I hope it helps you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got me checking labels now... and I was never a label checker! :) I went to Z Pizza yesterday and they not only have tons of organic options, they have gluten free crust. I had a yummy pizza yesterday with fresh tomatoes and basil. It was so good!!

    ReplyDelete