My Renovation Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Scary Fever

We were in the emergency room until 2:30 a.m. this morning!  Ella was sent home from school with a 102 fever and supposedly holding her ear.  I took her to the ped, who said her ears were clear, but her throat had a lot of puss on it.  Her fever was 103.3.  The swab came back negative for strep, but she gave me antibiotics anyway.

I took her temp before bed, and it was 103.5 (so still going up!) so I gave her more meds and put her to bed.  I went in and felt her around 10 p.m., and she felt warm but not hot.  At around 12:30 a.m., I woke up to her moaning really loudly so I went in to give her more meds, but she would not wake up!  She was moaning so loud, and it was as if her eyes were rolled back in her head.  Even with a cold towel on her, she would not stop moaning or open her eyes.  She was completely unresponsive.  I took her temp, and it was 106!!!!  She was like a noodle- we were scared to death.  Gary grabbed her, threw her in the car, and took her to the ER, while I woke Everett up to get him in my car and rush over there.

When I got there, she was laying on the bed, still moaning and she would not talk to me or say anything or make eye contact.  Her fever was now 104, but she was still so out of it!  After huge doses of meds, they finally got her down to 99.9.

The ER doctor said he doesn't trust those quick swab tests so he believes she either has strep or a bad viral infection, but that she would be fine.  He said he doesn't care about the height of the fever, even if it's over 105!  I told him that I knew that, and that my doctor has told me the same thing in the past, but she was so unresponsive that I thought something was seriously wrong.  I've never seen someone like that before, and she is so little! 

Good news is that she is doing 1000% better today.  I think her fever must have been breaking when it was 106, and now it's gone.  SO SCARY!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Thats so scary. I'm upset that the ped didn't diagnose her better. Always upsetting when you have to go through that with a child. Sending hugs! Glad she's feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary! I was surprised when the Ped's office told me that they don't consider it a fever until it's above 104 or 105 (I don't remember) and that they don't really get concerned about even a super high fever. WTF! I would have taken her in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad she is ok now. You totally did the right thing. Jacob had a seizure due to a high fever when he was 18 months old, you can't play around with those kind of temps on little people. I've been freaked out by any kind of fever ever since, having a child who has no response to you is beyond anything I ever imagined, I truely thought we had lost him. Thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!!! I was scared reading your post! I am soooo glad that Ella is feeling a little better! I am feeling totally guilty because she might have caught something from Brice over the weekend. I'm so sorry!!!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very scary! So glad that she is doing better... I would have freaked out!

    ReplyDelete