My Renovation Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Chickens are Coming! Our Coop

After hours (days, really) of research regarding the coop, I finally chose and ordered one, which meant that I could order the chickens!  I went WAY over-budget on the coop, but I didn't want Gary to have to make one, and it's hard to find pre-fab ones that are big enough.  Most of them say they are for 3-4 or even 4-6 chickens, but after reading tons of reviews and forums, apparently, they are really only good for 1-2 chickens, and if you don't have enough space in the coop and run, the chickens will peck at each other.  Gary will still likely have to expand the run, even though it's allegedly big enough for 6-10 chickens!

I think I'm going to paint it white with a navy door so it matches our house- hee hee!

I ordered the chickens from Meyer Hatchery, which has a fabulous reputation.  I ended up with a Barred Plymouth Rock, a Red Star/Golden Buff, a Buff Orpington, a Silver Laced Wyandotte and two Easter Eggers (want to make sure I get enough of those beautiful blue/green eggs!).

They will arrive the week of July 10th so open invitation to come hold our baby chicks!  We want to make sure they get lots of handling so they are friendly adults. :)

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool. I live in Southern California too and have thought about getting chickens. Do you think you can post what your total costs are and potential savings once you have the chickens for a little while? Also, what the maintenance is would be interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete